Comment on page
Cosmos Staking (ATOM)
How to delegate ATOM using the Keplr wallet
Cosmos is a rapidly expanding ecosystem of independent interconnected blockchains built using developer-friendly application components and connected with ground-breaking IBC (Inter-Blockchain Communication) Protocol.
At the core of the Internet of Blockchains is the Cosmos Hub, the economic center of Cosmos, secured by its native ATOM token. The Cosmos Hub was the first blockchain to launch on the Cosmos network — the first of hundreds of thousands of blockchains, working with one another and enriched by their connections.
ATOM is a Proof of Stake token based on the Tendermint BFT algorithm. Therefore, it allows every ATOM token holder to enjoy staking rewards by delegating their token to a Cosmos Validator.
In this step-by-step guide, we will explain to you how to delegate your ATOM token by using Keplr wallet. Let’s get started!
- 2.Add “Keplr” window will appear. Here's when you choose to Add Extension.
- 3.When the download completes, you can begin interacting with your browser extension by clicking on it at the top right corner of your browser
- 4.You'll now launch the Keplr wallet extension and will see the following 5 options
- 1.Sign in with Google account
- 2.Create a new account via seed/mnemonic phrase
- 3.Import your account from a *compatible non-custodial wallet
- 4.Connect using a Ledger hardware wallet
- 5.Connect using a Keystone hardware wallet
- 1.Login with your Google account
- 2.If you don’t have an account on Keplr yet, you can create one by pressing the create account button.
- 3.Set your Keplr Wallet password. Choose carefully, using a password you’re not using in any other applications, and then click Confirm.
We recommend creating an account via a mnemonic phrase or via a hardware wallet such as Ledger or Keystone. The steps above are for first time users without a wallet and for folks that are not familiar with Web3 wallet creations. Here's why it matters -- "Not your Keys, not your Coin"
- 1.If you are setting up Keplr for the first time: In the initial pop-up window, choose Create New Account. If you have used Keplr before: In the extension click on the silhouette in the upper-right corner, then the blue box Add Account & select Create New Account.
- 2.Choose to have a seed/mnemonic phrase of 24 words, then write them down in a safe and secure place. The safest way is to write the words on paper and store them in a secure place. Avoid taking screenshots of the words or copying them into your electronic device.
- 3.Now enter a name for your account (you can change it later).
- 4.You can change the derivation path by clicking on Advanced, but this is optional and not suggested for how we are going to use Keplr. If you are interested in knowing more about the HD wallet derivation path, you can find more in the Keplr FAQ, section General Questions.
- 5.Once you are sure that you have correctly transcribed the seed/mnemonic phrase, click on Next.
- 6.To confirm the creation of the new account, all you have to do is click on the words in the right order in which they appear in your seed/mnemonic phrase and press Register.
- 7.If you have just downloaded Keplr extension, it’s time to set your password! Choose carefully, if possible, prefer a password you’re not using in any other application, and then click Confirm. If you have used Keplr before, this step will be skipped as you have already set your password when creating/importing your first account.
When you are all set it is time to learn how to stake ATOM tokens.
ATOM holders can earn staking rewards, thereby increasing their ATOM holdings by simply staking their ATOM tokens with any one of the active validators on the network.
To stake ATOM tokens you must first buy some ATOM tokens and send them to a wallet that supports staking.
Once you’ve transferred your tokens to a stake-supporting wallet, you may proceed with staking your tokens on the network to earn staking rewards.
First, open your Keplr extension and press Stake.
Select a validator of your choice to delegate your tokens to. We suggest you our validator — KysenPool Sky.
Once you have made your decision of validator, click >, then Delegate.
Next step is to decide the number of ATOM tokens you want to delegate, press Delegate.
IMPORTANT: Do not delegate all of your token, you need to save some to pay for network fees.
Type the decided amount in the input field and click Delegate.
Next, select the transaction fee from the range of fees on display.
The Memo field is optional. You may leave it empty until you are not sending your tokens to an exchange.
Click on Approve to confirm your transaction.
You have now staked your ATOM tokens and will begin earning staking rewards!
Congratulations! You’ve just delegated ATOM to a validator!
Thank you for reading!!!
We strive to build your trust with our technical diligence while helping support the ATOM blockchain network by staking your ATOM tokens while earning rewards!
Unlock the Power of Staking with Our Trusted Blockchain Infrastructure Services!
We aim to decentralize the Proof-of-Stake blockchain ecosystem. We’re highly familiar with the Tendermint-based blockchains such as Cosmos, Kava, Quicksilver; Ethereum and EVM-chains like Harmony; and substrate-based chains such as Cardano. Our global team is continuously improving our automations and constantly monitoring our operations to ensure high availability and resilience.
Our infrastructure is a hybrid of data centers bolstered with Hardware Security Modules (HSMs), and distributed globally at multiple Cloud providers. Our mission is to help provide a sound infrastructure, tooling and services, so that developers can build with confidence. We hope you like our contributions into the ecosystems that we support. To find out more about networks that we support, checkout our website below.
Last modified 12d ago